CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Niches

I was reading an article about how people don't pay attention to the little things in life, particulary those people we interact with everyday but don't play a significant role in our lives. I took that observation to heart and I spent yesterday being aware of all my interactions from waking up to sleep. To my surprise, I realized that I really do have a niche in DC. Actually I was shocked at my observations. How is it that one person can be so known is a sizeable city without every really interacting with these strangers? How profound?

Take the metro at Rosslyn to work. I always see the same Hispanic couple on the platform at the same time I am waiting. I think they are getting married. We always smile and now we give head nods. When I do drive, the guys at the garage always park my car up front with the luxury vehicles, even though mine is not. They also let me come and go, which is not avaiable on daily tickets.

I walk from the station to work, passing by my coffee shop. I always walk in at 9:15. No need to stand in line, they know what I drink. Doppio espresso with 2 cups and a lid. Half a packet of sugar. No need to pay, I run an "unoffical" tab that I pay on Fridays.

Head over to the office where I pass the PC garage. T.K comes out of the garage and we do the secret handshake. Into the lobby where the security guards check me in. We say our pleasentries in French (they are W. African) and talk football. Ms. Peggy says "Hey baby doll", I blow her a kiss and take the elevator on the right.

Work, work, work...

Head to the gym at 12:50. No need to check in, they all know me (and oddly enough expect me and give me shit when I show late). Go for a run or lift.

Head over to my favorite bench press at 1pm. Left corner. All my gym peeps know this and don't hesistate to kick newbies off for me. Talk shit with Cedric while I bench. Do my work out and leave at 2:15.

Lunch. Where ever I go, I always get the same thing. They are so cool, they see me walk in and they make me my usual. No need to wait in line, I just pay and hang out. I always do High Noon on Fridays but the wait is CRAZY. I told the register clerk how I hate waiting in lines and now they make my salad and have it waiting for me every Friday at 2:30. Asian chicken salad, no crunchy noodles, dressing on the side...shit they even pick out the arugla (blah)for me. Pay and leave.

Work, work, work...panda viewing from 4-4:30 every day. On Friday I have a drink at the bar next door. No need to order, they know my drink. Chardonnay with one ice cube.

Head home, down the metro and say "whazz up" to the station manager. Talk some shit about the Skins and head home.

Out the escalator, say hey to Debra my favorite homeless woman and give her grief about the sores on her legs.

Walk home with the SAME crowd of people each day. Don't know there names, but I know bits and pieces about their lives.

Walk the dog and I always run into my dog peeps.

Eat and then watch 3 hours of Law and Order

Bedtime 9pm

So I feel very lucky to have such nice, do I call them strangers anymore, that I interact with. These people know my likes, dislikes, and quirks which is probably more than my own family knows. In the end, these people treat me like a celebrity. The difference between me and a celebrity is that they expect VIP treatment while I appreciate it. So why do I get this treatment? Good question. I am not an obnoxious tipper but I do treat people with respect and I am always kind. Ok, doing some small favors does help but not that much. You know, service with a smile! I have come to the conclusion that I like my niche and it is really not so bad.

2 comments:

lizze said...

TThis is an interesting read.

I think it has to do with respect. You respect all these people and their jobs and they treat you nicely back. No way that they would have done this for you if you were an arrogant person.

lorioriori said...

girl, why you buggin' about arugla? it's good for you! all things vegetable are good for you.

so if i move to DC, will you introduce me around? i'd like some celebrite treatment on a gov't budget too!

you are so unaware of how easy going and wonderful you are. it makes you even more so. i am SO HAPPY we found each other in thailand! xox