CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 09, 2005

Sadness


I am so sad over New Orleans. My heart is broken. Not only by the tradegy that Katrina caused but over my government's response to it. I truly believe that had these people been white middle class the response rate would not have been so slow. I am ashamed to admit that, but I know in my heart it is true. The response in NY on 9/11 was swift and coordinated. Could that have something to do with the fact that Manhattan is one of the richest if not the richest place in America? Gee I wonder.

I am heartened to see the response from ordinary American citizens. People are opening up their homes, businesses, schools, churches, whatever. Even Chase Bank has given customers a 90 day reprieve on credit card payments. There is more being done by you and I than the richest government in the world. You know our government sucks when Mexico sends their army to help us! Even Republicans are slow to defend their president, that says volumes.

Regardless, I am cutting myself off from the visual media. Only radio for me. The pictures give me nightmares and I sit in front of my computer with a lump in my throat looking at a city that now resembles a third world country. It does not even look like the same city I saw a month ago. I want to go down there and walk in Jackson square with a cold drink and listen to the sax player. Then I would go over to Cafe Du Monde for a chicory coffee and beingts while listening to the sax player in the distance. But alas, that is not possible. I was hoping me and Todd could go down for our wedding anniversary and re-live our meeting, but that is impossible at this point. I feel helpless and I want to help, but I have also realized that my dollars are much more needed than my time. So be it! The money gets spents regardless, I may as well put it to something useful besides my wine habit.

Quote of the day which I send to New Orleans, I love you Crescent City and I will be back soon I promise!: "If you are going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill

0 comments: