CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Visas, medical clearances, money, dogs, oh my!

Good GOD does it take a village to get the Peterson-Watkins clan overseas. It seems everytime I turn around there is some stupid requirement or money. One or the other, and often both. Cappy went in for her blood draws today, yep $400 gone. Not to mention the $400 we have already spent on rabies titers, vaccinations, check ups and God I can't remember. Oh, than there is us! 2 chest x-rays (not covered by insurance), 2 medical examinations (partially covered), months of prescriptions, and a whopping $325 visa application fee. Nice...

Oh yeah, and to make matters more stressful we can't buy a ticket until we have our visas and Cappy has her quarantine clearance. So that puts us into the beginning of March and oh my...I have to be there by March 24. Yeah right! Todd wants to see his family on the way out. We are also planning on stopping in Hawaii for some R and R. The longer the visa process takes the more time we have to cut out of family and friend visits. One thing we decided is off limits is Hawaii. Selfishly the family and friend visits have to be minimized so we can maximize Hawaii and REST. "Sorry 85 year old Grandma, but I have beaches to tan on" It is a NECESSITY at this point that I wean myself off the Xanax and back on to good old wine. I can not go into my doctoral program in the state I am in now.

Through this process I have learned one lesson. God help you if you need a wellness check up with your PCP. Many docs could not see us until May/June. Just the other day I read that the US is having a primary care physician shortage crisis. NO SHIT! What is even worse is that most of the practicing PCP's are over the age of 55. Guess who will be retiring soon? Even the radiologist who did my paper work said that if the country continues in this direction he just might come over and join me. Good luck Mr. Radiologist in getting that PCP appt! I just keep reminding myself that this is all in the name of having a better quality of life:)

0 comments: