CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 18, 2005

Bird Flu


I hate infectious disease epidemiology. It's gross and usually involves diarrhea. I try to stay clear, but being the ONLY epidemiologist makes that impossible. Unfortunately, working at the PC with volunteers in SE Asia I have to keep abreast of the situation. Alas, KFC has invented a cure for all of the bird flu woes. I hope it doesn't mutate into the panda flu. God help us!

I got the picture from theonion.com, I love them!

I also noticed something the other day on the back of my student loan statement. I have disability coverage which protects me in case I am...well disabled. Very necessary when you owe over 100 grand. Anyhoo, the coverage is not applicable in these instances:

1. I become disabled due to a nuclear catastrophe (excluding nuclear medicine treatments)
2. I become disabled due to a terrorist attack
3. I become pregnant (pregnancy according to FMLA is short term disability, which is why 12 weeks of leave needs to be offered, even w/o pay)

Hmmm, I think. Ok point 1. IF, big if, I survive a nuclear disaster who the fuck is going to be around to make me pay? Point 2. Very sneaky, but once again if there is a large enough terrorist attack that leaves me disabled I doubt anyone would care about my money. Point 3. Obviously someone has tried that in court, very clever. Although there are a few women I have known who became pregnant and somehow became stupid and irrational. "Please don't drink in front of me, I might breathe the fumes" (not made up). Pregnancy can make smart people think/do dumb things. I guess that could be construed as disabled.

0 comments: