CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Rainy Paradise

Ok, it has rained NON-STOP since we got here! Our friends tell us that this is the 9th straight week of rain they have had. Last night the island of Kauai had a dam breach and it took out homes + people. One man was found a mile out at sea (dead) and 6 people are missing (all in the same family). It is bad in Kauai and not much better here. Would you believe me if I told you that I have not applied sun cream once? Believe it, I tell no lie.

So since the beach is out, we have filled our time with naps and hiking. Yesterday we hiked to Makapu Point and we saw innumerable humpback whales. They pass through this one side of the island from Nov-March when they come to Hawaii to breed and take care of young. We saw whales spout, breach and slap the water with their fins. It was breathtaking and a highlight of my short life thus far.

Today we hiked to the top of Koko Head. We are convinced it is one of the highest points on Oahu. The only path is an old trolley/railroad line that once ferried passengers to the top. It is now defunct so we walked along the ties. The last 500 yards were so steep we literally climbed hand over fist with our weight kept LOW to the ground. It was the steepest climb I have ever done, not to mention the dirtiest! The view was second to none and it was so peaceful once we got to the top and stopped panting!

I am starting to see a little blue in the sky so I must race to the beach. Aloha everyone and we send big hugs and kisses!

0 comments: